TAIWAN ADDRESS:



TAIPEI TAIWAN MISSION

4/F, #24, LANE 183

CHIN HUA STREET

TAIPEI 106

TAIWAN, R.O.C.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Delightful Delays

This is the story of the worst luck in traveling ever recorded. Probably.

It all started on December 18th, 2010
Flying from HNL to LAX then connecting to LAS
the LAX to LAS flight is departing the gate,
a man stands up (whilst taxiing (big no no)) and goes into the bathroom,
he was drunk, and threw up ALL over the first class bathroom.
The plane turns around, the flight attendants start cleaning it up. Then the captain comes on and announces that he has overflown his hours, and has to go on rest for legalities. The flight is cancelled, people are angry. My dad is livid (big word).
We take a 5 hour bus ride to Vegas from LA. We would have gotten home at 2 in the morning. . . we don't get there 'til 7.


Tuesday (February 8th 2011)
Wake up leave the house at 5:30 a.m.
St. George shuttle to Las Vegas.
I'm flying from LAS to SLC then SLC to HNL.
My flight in LAS is delayed an hour.
I'm freaking out thinking I'm going to miss my connecting flight.
We land in SLC. I briskly walk to another terminal, my flight was supposed to depart in 10 minutes.
The flight is delayed an hour. So i go get a krispy kreme.
The flight gets delayed half an hour.
(The cargo door to the plane wouldn't open. The previous flight from Atlanta (=D) were all waiting for their luggage. 2 hours after they landed they got their luggage out. Then the cargo door wouldn't work right, so they were trying to fix it so that it would open and close properly.)
The flight gets delayed another hour (after the first hour and a half delay)
Then another hour.
Then a half hour...
then 2 hours....
then a whopping 8 hours.
I was supposed to leave SLC at 11 am and arrive in HNL at 330.
We don't leave until 8pm and i don't get to HNL until midnight.
My grandma picked me up and i got to visit her and see her cats and puppy.

Once i arrive in HNL, Bree and Erin are on their way and her car breaks down.
like, for good. Snoopy was dead =(
so we had to have someone else from Laie find a car, go get them because they had her car towed to Kaneohe, then come out and get me.

I was at that airport forever. I got kicked out of the baggage claim because they were closing it.
I sat outside on a concrete bench, and started to cry. It had been a full 24 hours since i left my house in St. George.
and i cried pretty hard because i was tired, and i was in hawaii, and i had all of this bad luck and it just felt weird and sad and scary.
This nice couple from Texas came and talked to me, and they ended up asking a lot of questions about the church so that was cool.

NEXT FLIGHT. . . from Honolulu to Kona

Delayed 3.5 hours. But i did make it and had an amazing time on the Big Island.
(i also had a REALLY REALLY cool missionary experience on this flight. New Post to come)

NEXT FLIGHT. . . from Kona to LAX
Delayed a half hour
then the radio wasn't working right, so we had to make a stop in Honolulu and possibly switch planes.
They fix the radio after an hour in Honolulu.
I'm in first class because my dad upgraded me, then he had a guy from the business on the plane who was 6'6" and a big guy, so i switched him and sat in coach with his 6 year old son who was sleeping and kept hitting me and laying all over me haha. 4.5 hours later we're in LAX.

LAX to LAS
we were already bumped up to a later flight, but we landed 10 minutes before that one was supposed to take off. My parents and i RUN as fast as we can to the gate, (usually when you have a connecting flight and you're cutting it close, the gate attendant will hold the flight for you, especially if its that close) so we get to the gate and the lady was going back and closing the gate. We have the TSA people go back to tell her we're waiting. She shuts the door anyway. and My dad is... beside himself.
the plane was right there. not even leaving the gate yet, we were on the list, and she knew we were. but she said we weren't and that the gate was already closed and there was nothing she could do. My dad goes off.... "that's b.s. we're on that list and you know it"
i run to another gate to get on a different flight. My dad calls and we get switched to another airline that leaves in an hour.
We go through security again. my dad is freaking out thinking our bags won't make it on this flight. he talks to the lady at this other airlines gate, she claims that there's no way she can know and there's no way to find out.
My dad starts yelling at her.
My mom and i just get on the flight.
The flight attendant comes onto the plane before they shut the door and tells my dad that she did call, and they don't know if the bags are on the plane. but she did call (i don't get why she didn't just pick up the phone and call while we were standing there.)
my dad was really frustrated because all of the attendants were just being lazy, and claiming they can't do stuff. My dad flies like every day of every year for the past 30 years. . . he's not some dumb customer that doesn't know how it works.

Anyways.... we did make it home eventually.
3 of the 4 bags we had made it onto the flight, and delta had to drive the other one up from LA to us in STG. Their mistake i'd say.

I did get $450 worth of money toward a flight (it expires in a year so i need to use it before i leave on my mission) and 2 free meals while i was in SLC.

I'm flying to Georgia on Friday. . . cross your fingers for me.


No comments:

T



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com